Report Abuse


I’m Concerned… What Should I Do?

As we teach children to recognize and trust their, “gut instinct” we must learn to trust ours as well. If you are concerned about a child’s well-being or have discovered that they are in an unsafe situation, it is important to react responsibly and take the necessary steps toward protecting children. We find the following decision flowchart from Darkness to Light to be helpful when deciding your next steps:

D2L Decision Flow Chart

The most important action step to take when you are concerned a child is being abused is to make a report to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. To make a report, it is helpful to do the following:

1) Visit the Michigan DHHS Abuse & Neglect website to answer any other questions about the process you may have.

2) Complete the DHHS 3200 form prior to calling the Centralized Intake Hotline so that you are prepared to provide them with the information they need to the best of your ability. ***NOTE: If you are a mandated reporter, you must email, fax, or mail in this form in addition to calling Centralized Intake.

3) Call the Centralized Intake Hotline at 1-855-444-3911 and make your report.

4) Centralized Intake will then get the information to the appropriate local DHHS office. When you make a report, you are simply asking for a professional service to be done. DHHS will make the appropriate decisions and next steps from there.

For more information about reporting, and for step by step reporting instructions, watch this video created by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services:

If you have questions or need support, please feel free to call us at (231) 929-4250.